HUMMINGBIRD HAPPINESS HOMESUGAR SOLUTIONFEEDER FUNBIRDIE PHOTOS
___________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Smashing Pumpkins!



.....she said in her best British accent. No, not the alternative rock group (formed in Chi-town, BTW). It's October showcase time for the versatile pumpkin!

Our pumpkins got an early start this year. After the seedlings were planted, vines took off across the yard and even up the fence. During the morning hours, bees were ecstatic over the blooms, showing no discrimination between male and female flowers. Soon tiny pumpkins appeared, then grew and grew till harvest time....

My friend Jordi from Missouri (or Missoura, like my mom, a Missouri native, says) loves pumpkins (and gourds too). She occasionally looks to Martha Stewart Magazine for fun ideas, and discovered the Pumpkin Owls this year. They are quite easy to make, especially if you leave out the miniature lights.

Jordi and I both get a giggle out of Martha (often the definition of perfectionism and its negatives). Martha did a televised special many years ago with Julia Child as guest. Watching loosey-goosey Julia frustrate Miss M (almost to the point of homicide) was incredibly entertaining. Someday Jordi and her sister will take over the Martha Stewart empire;) I hope it's hostile....

Choose yer weapon, Martha! Spatulas it is!

1 comment:

thewalnut said...

I am impatiently waiting for an open weekend so that I can go pumpkin patching. Today I started decorating my front window for Halloween.

and it shall be hostile, beware Martha for I wield a mean whisk.