HUMMINGBIRD HAPPINESS HOMESUGAR SOLUTIONFEEDER FUNBIRDIE PHOTOS
___________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, August 8, 2008

Morning Blooms


Up early, I tilted the blinds of the computer room (which faces the backyard) and discovered the blooms of my Peruvian Apple Cactus still open. So pretty! I noticed lots of bees too, so I grabbed the camera and headed outside. The cactus was alive and literally humming with busy, intense workers who could care less that I was watching. I'm glad they're back though:) In the 1980's, California had an infestation of Medflies which threatened fruit crops. During that time, state government decided to attack the little pests by helicopter. Malathion sprays were conducted at night, and though deemed "safe" for humans, we stayed indoors and protected our cars from the paint-corrosive chemical. The bee population dropped considerably during that time and numbers were slow to increase for many years...but now a change has come. Welcome back, bees!

No comments: